Hazelnut and cocoa cake is a luscious cake.
Hazelnuts and chocolate is always a perfect match and this cake owes its goodness to delicious Italian hazelnuts. I use the best-known, hazelnuts from Piedmont but I love to alternate with those of Giffoni and Sicilian ones.
This hazelnut and cocoa cake is moist and fragrant because of the oils given in the roasted hazelnuts.
3 large free range eggs
100 g (3½ oz) raw sugar
Pinch of sea salt
300 g (11 oz) wholemeal Farro flour, sifted (or other good unrefined flour)
15 g (½ oz) organic baking powder
3 tbsp raw cocoa powder
100 g (3½ oz) toasted hazelnuts, minced
75 ml (3 fl oz) heavy fresh cream
75 ml (3fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil (or 100 ml (3½ fl oz) organic cold-pressed sunflower oil)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Beat the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Add the sifted flour, baking powder, cocoa and 50 g (2 oz) hazelnuts.
- Whip the egg whites and add them to the mixture.
- Add the fresh cream and oil, stirring quickly.
- Oil and flour a mold and pour in the dough.
- Sprinkle with remaining chopped hazelnuts. Bake for 35 minutes.