Hazelnut and cocoa cake is a luscious cake.
Hazelnuts and chocolate is always a perfect match and this cake owes its goodness to delicious Italian hazelnuts. I use the best-known, hazelnuts from Piedmont but I love to alternate with those of Giffoni and Sicilian ones.
This hazelnut and cocoa cake is moist and fragrant because of the oils given in the roasted hazelnuts.
Hazelnut and cocoa cake: Ingredients
3 large free range eggs
100 g (3½ oz) raw sugar
Pinch of sea salt
300 g (11 oz) wholemeal Farro flour, sifted (or other good unrefined flour)
15 g (½ oz) organic baking powder
3 tbsp raw cocoa powder
100 g (3½ oz) toasted hazelnuts, minced
75 ml (3 fl oz) heavy fresh cream
75 ml (3fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil (or 100 ml (3½ fl oz) organic cold-pressed sunflower oil)
Hazelnut and cocoa cake: Method
- Add the sifted flour, baking powder, cocoa and 50 g (2 oz) hazelnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Beat the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Whip the egg whites and add them to the mixture.
- Add the fresh cream and oil, stirring quickly.
- Oil and flour a mold and pour in the dough.
- Sprinkle with remaining chopped hazelnuts. Bake for 35 minutes.