I love this hazelnut chocolate cake because without icing is perfect to serve for breakfast and, with dark chocolate icing, it becomes a dessert.
Kamut and hazelnut flours give a gentle and particular softness to a fragrant cake that keeps it soft for a few days. High quality butter, bought at a local farm, is the essential ingredient I used for icing.
Hazelnut chocolate cake: Ingredients
200 (7 0z) hazelnut flour
150 (5 oz) whole wheat Kamut flour, sifted
1 tbsp organic baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp raw cocoa powder
80 g (3 oz) raw coconut sugar
100 g (3 ½ fl oz) dark chocolate, 70%, melted
80 ml (3 fl oz) organic milk (or rice milk)
80 ml (3 fl oz) plain yogurt
80 ml (3 fl oz) cold pressed sunflower oil
1 free range organic egg
For the icing:
150 g (5 oz) dark chocolate, 70%
50 g (2 oz) butter
Hazelnut chocolate cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180° (350°/Gas 4).
- In a bowl, pour the flours, baking powder, salt, cocoa, coconut sugar, and mix with a wooden spoon.
- In another bowl, with an electric whip knead the melted chocolate, milk, yogurt, oil and egg.
- Combine liquid and solid ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a pan, covered with baking paper, and cook for 24 to 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. With the fire off, add the chocolate. Pour the chocolate icing on the lukewarm cake.