Loaf cake with cheese and pear is a classic of my Autumn/Winter season.
On cold Sundays, spent in the countryside with friends, savory cakes are one of those pleasant habits that keep us women occupied in the kitchen while the men are busy with their chatter.
This recipe is great for a brunch or a salty snack. The quality of the cheese is essential not only for taste but also for texture. Grana cheese has a very delicate flavor and is ideal for a loaf cake like this.
Loaf cake with cheese and pear: Ingredients
250 g (9 oz) wholemeal Farro flour, sifted
2 tbsp organic baking powder
black pepper, to taste
200 g (7 oz) Grana cheese, grated
2 large organic free range eggs
pinch of sea salt
75 ml (3 fl oz) organic milk, at room temperature
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pear (2 if small)
sprig dried oregano (or fresh, if in season)
Loaf cake with cheese and pear: Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
2. Sift the flour and baking powder. Add the pepper, grated cheese, eggs, sea salt and mix.
3. Pour in the milk, olive oil and mix again.
4. Peel the pear, cut into cubes and mix into the dough with the oregano
5. Pour the mixture into a mold, lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake for 35 minutes.