Cashew nuts are one of the heroes of this recipe. They are so versatile in the kitchen and rich in many properties. They are cholesterol-free because they contain a high percentage of monounsaturated fatty acids (such as those found in olive oil).
Cashews are also a good source of iron, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and an oleic acid which makes them suitable for heart health.
Barley salad with cashew sauce is very simple but really tasty. Rich in fiber and nutritive properties. Seasonal vegetables, noble cereals and a delicious cashew sauce are an ideal pairing for a crunchy and creamy winter salad.
For the cashew sauce
150 g (5 oz) cashew
Water, to taste
For the salad
200 g (7 oz) pearled barley
2 broccoli florets
150 g (5 oz) pumkin, cut into cubes
150 g (5 oz) artichokes in oil
Pinch of sea salt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
White pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, pour the cashew and cover with water. Leave to soak for at least four hours. Drain, pour the cashews into a bowl with high sides, add a pinch of salt, 50 ml (2 fl oz) of water and blend with a hand blender until a thick cream is obtained.
- Cook the barley in boiling water for 10-15 minutes or according to the instructions of the package.
- Cook the broccoli flowers and pumpkin together steamed or in boiling water for about 15 minutes.
- In a pan, pour the artichokes, broccoli, pumkin and mix. Add the barley and mix again for five minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the pepper, a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and mix. Serve immediately.