Vegan and gluten free apple crumble is one of the best comfort food.
The apple pie (and its smaller version, apple crumble) is one of the most known and appreciated desserts in the world. The history of this pastry has its roots in the period of World War II when, even in Britain, it was almost impossible to find sugar, butter and flour. The scarcity of certain essential ingredients made it difficult to prepare desserts like apple pie. For this, English cooks and housewives, found the crumble, with few ingredients available to them, to be very useful and delicious. Beneath this layer were the usual sweet apples.
With time, this iconic American and British dessert has become one of the most famous in the world and its recipe has been changed, so that today is also made with pears, rhubarb and raspberry. It is a typical autumn and winter comfort sweet, rich in energy, tasty and healthy.
Vegan and gluten free apple crumble: Ingredients
250 g (7 oz) brown rice flour,
80 ml (3 fl oz) organic cold pressed sunflower oil
80 g (3 oz) coconut sugar +1 tbsp
4 red apples
the juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla Bourbon powder
1 tbsp raisin
1 tbsp walnuts
Vegan and gluten free apple crumble: Method
- Knead the flour with oil and sugar until mixture is grainy. Let rest in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Peel and cut diced apples, sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Sautéed the apples in the pan for 2-3 minutes with a tablespoon of coconut sugar, then turn off the heat and add the cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour the apples in the casserole and cover with the crumbs, raisin and walnuts.
- Bake, in preheated oven, at 180°C (350°F/gas 4), for 25 minutes.