Cocoa and coffee, a happy combination, especially when paired with a breakfast cake. A charge of energy prepared with simple and unrefined ingredients. This vegan cake is made with the so-called “eggs replacer”. I usually buy it at the organic supermarket but you can also use the equivalent indicated in this recipe. Even an apple or a crushed banana are good substitutes for eggs but, in this case, they are not indicated with the taste of coffee. They would contrast too much with coffee. Almond yogurt is one of the added values that gives this cake the right softness.
1 tsp organic baking powder
Pinch of sodium bicarbonate
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
80 ml (3 fl oz) almond non dairy yogurt, unsweetened
80 g (3 oz) Demerara sugar
80 ml (3 fl oz) organic cold sunflower oil,
1 tbsp raw cocoa, unsweetened
1 espresso cup
50 g (2 oz) toasted almond flour
50 g (2 oz) toasted hazelnut flour
200 g (7 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180° (375° / Gas 4).
- In a bowl, mix the baking powder with sodium bicarbonate, cornstarch and water.
- Add the milk, oil, cocoa, coffee.
- Add the flours and mix with the spatula until obtaining a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour the dough in a pan, lined with parchment paper, cover with almond flave and bake for 25 minutes.