Crispy and rich in energy, these vegan cocoa and pistachio cookies are rich in properties. They are great for breakfast, dipped in milk, but also perfect for a snack to take with you to school or the office. The grated carrots enrich the recipe with flavor and vitamins and give the mixture the right humidity to be able to knead it. They can keep for several days. You can replace (or alternate) dried fruit according to your tastes.
200 g (7 oz) wholemeal (whole-wheat) flour, sifted (or brown rice flour, for a gluten-free recipe)
150 g (5 oz) pistachio flour
100 g (3½ oz) cornflakes
1 tbsp raw cocoa powder
3 tbsp raw coconut sugar
1 tsp organic baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
2 grated carrots
50 ml (2 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil or 100 ml (3½ fl oz) cold-pressed sunflower oil
2 tbsp brown rice milk
1 handful chopped pistachios or other dried fruit, to your taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/ Gas 4).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine the flours, cornflakes, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, grated carrots in a bowl.
- Add the oil and mix the ingredients using an electric mixer.
- Add just enough brown rice milk to make a soft dough.
- With moistened hands, form small balls. Flatten and place on the baking tray.
- Place the pistachios (or other chopped dried fruit ) on each cookie and bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.