Vegan double chocolate muffins are the perfect gluten and dairy free treat.
Usually, eggs are replaced in various ways in vegan desserts. Bananas and apples are excellent substitutes and, in addition, being very sweet, they can also replace sugar. The disadvantage is that some may not like the taste they release, especially with the combination of some ingredients.
The possibilities to make delicious egg-free alternatives have definitely widened since, for a few years, the so-called egg replacers arrived on the food market. They are ingenious single packs, strictly organic, made with all natural and simple ingredients such as turmeric; corn starch, carob seed flour (which gives the dough a silky and velvety texture).
This is the key ingredient of delicious muffins, perfect for breakfast or even as a soft dessert if covered with chocolate icing.
Vegan double chocolate muffins: Ingredients
Make8-10 muffins (it depends on the size of molds)
150 g (5 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
150 g (5 oz) cornstarch/cornflour, sifted
1 tsp organic baking powder
1 tsp organic vanilla “Bourbon” powder
1 sachet egg replacer
80 g (3 oz) Muscovado raw sugar
80 ml (3 fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil (or 100 ml /3½ fl oz organic high oleic sunflwer oil)
80 ml (3 fl oz) brown rice milk
100 g (3½ oz) dark chocolate 70 %, vegan, chopped
100 g (3½ oz) dark chocolate with hazelnuts, vegan, chopped
Vegan double chocolate muffins: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, vanilla, sugar and flake chocolates.
- In another bowl, pour all the liquid ingredients and the egg replacer (for the latter, follow the instructions on the package.It is usually necessary to dissolve the sachets in lukewarm water and add it to the rest of the ingredients). Mix the liquid ingredients with an electric mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix for three minutes, until a creamy mixture is obtained.
- Pour the mixture into paper muffin molds and cook at 180° (350°/Gas 4 ) for 15 minutes.