Chocolate and strawberry cake is a delicious Summer combo.
With the first strawberries of my garden I made a delicious jam.
Jam is one of the best comfort food. The scent that spreads around the house is among the best and it is the scent of strawberries that, in my opinion, wins over others. I remember when I looked at my mother while she was preparing it. It was so relaxing.
Made with coconut sugar, this chocolate and strawberry cake is gently sweet, dense at the right point. So, I decided to use some spoons for a gluten and dairy free chocolate cake. The result is a crisp surface and a soft interior, perfect for any occasion.
Chocolate and strawberry cake: Ingredients
For the Strawberry Jam
500 g (17 oz) strawberries
150 g (5 oz) coconut sugar
The juice of one lemon
For the cake
300 g (11 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
1 tsp organic baking powder
2 tsp raw cocoa powder
1 free large organic beaten egg
Pinch of sea salt
80 g ( 3 oz) raw coconut sugar
150 ml (5 fl oz) brown rice milk
80 ml (3 fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil
Chocolate and strawberry cake: Method
- Wash the strawberries and cook with the sugar and lemon juice for about 20 minutes. Mix the jam with a hand blender. Leave to stand at room temperature.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with baking powder and cocoa.
- In another bowl, beat the egg with salt, sugar, milk and oil.
- Pour dry ingredients into liquid ones little by little and mix quickly.
- Pour the dough into a loaf mold.
- Cover the cake with three/four tablespoons of jam. Bake at 180°C (350°F/Gas 4), for 35 minutes.