Potato and onion salad is a perfect combination, especially in the warmer months when a salad also becomes a complete dish.
Potato salad is a dish that varies according to the nations and their traditions. In the regions of Southern Italy it is customary to pair potatoes with fresh vegetables such as onions.
Given the wealth of nourishment of potatoes, in Italy, a potato salad is also called “reinforcement salad”.
Potatoes are useful against hypertension, as they are rich in potassium. Fibers, vitamins and minerals bring significant benefits to the body. Rich in complex carbohydrates, they are recommended for those suffering from diabetes. Complex carbohydrates are decomposed into simple sugars before being absorbed and gradually circulating, thus helping to not raise blood glucose sharply. Raw onions keep all the nutrients. The red ones, with a pungent taste, are very rich in folic acid, vitamin C, calcium, quercetin. Excellent purifiers, should also be consumed daily to get all the benefits.
Potato and red onion salad is perfect all year round also with tofu cut into cubes, seitan or a vegan cheese.
Potato and onion salad: Ingredients
3 red onions
1 flat-leaf (Italian) parsley sprig, chopped
balsamic vinegar, to taste
Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
Pinch of sea salt
Potato and onion salad: Method
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for about 30 minutes (depending on the size of potatoes).
- Soak the onion in water until ready to serve.
- Drain the potatoes, leave to cool, then peel and cut into chunks.
- Combine the potatoes, parsley and onions in a bowl.
- Season with balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and salt. Serve immediately.