Pistachio and chocolate cake is ideal as an energy breakfast. A soft “Ciambella” (doughnut) that celebrates some of the most noble Sicilian products: raw Modica chocolate, Marsala (a dessert wine that is named after the Sicilian town where it is made) and pistachios.
Apparently, an ordinary chocolate cake but one that, once tasted, reveals all the unique delicacy of the special ingredients. the oils released by the pistachio flour make this cake moist and soft inside for several days. Gluten and dairy free, it is sweeetend with dates syrup, a great alternative to sugar.
200 g (7 oz) Modica dark bitter chocolate
2 tbsp Marsala dessert wine
2 large organic free range eggs, separated
Pinch of sea salt
150 g (5 oz) dates syrup
80 ml (3 fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil
300 g (11 oz) pistachio flour
150 g (5 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
1 tsp organic baking powder
2 tbsp Pistachios, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas 4).
- Melt the chocolate and, off the heat, add the 2 tablespoons of Marsala. Allow to cool.
- Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with the daes syrup. Add the oil, the pistachio flour, brown rice flour and baking powder.
- Combine with the egg whites and mix from the bottom up. Add the melted chocolate and stir it in quickly.
- Oil and flour a ciambella-doughnut cake tin and pour in the mixture. Sprinkle the surface with a generous dose of pistachios