Mashed potatoes and leeks in puff pastry is one of my favorite recipes.
The savory pies in puff pastry are one of the classics of home cooking. Just roll out a roll (palm oil free) and prepare a rich seasoning. A dish full of flavor, suitable not only for special occasions but for everyday delights, too. A delicious dish traditionally made by a Sicilian hand crafted with cheese and red pepper, that can be customized to incorporate other fine cheeses as well. You can replace cheese with vegan cheese, caper with olives and leeks with onion, according to taste. The puff pastry heated more than once does not maintain its fragrance and, even the best, tends to lose its unmistakable texture, so, to best enjoy this dish, it is advisable to serve it freshly baked.
Mashed potatoes and leeks in puff pastry: Ingredients
1 kg (2 pounds-4 ounces) potatoes
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
60 g (2 ounces) unsalted butter
100 g (3½ oz) desalted capers
1 tbsp freshly grated pepper
70 g (2½ oz) Sicilian cheese with chilli (or other hard cheese)
1 sheet (or about one 14 ounce package) organic puff pastry, palm oil free
Mashed potatoes and leeks in puff pastry: Method
- Peel the potatoes and let cook with leeks (washed and cut).
- Once cooked, sieved the potatoes and seasoned with butter, salt and pepper to taste. Add the capers, fresh grated pepper and mix.
- Roll out the pastry on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with the mashed potatoes and add the cheese diced.
- Bake, in preheated oven, for 20 minutes at 180°C (350°F/ gas 4).