Apple cakes have a special magic. They are one of those simple, timeless desserts of which everyone has their own recipe. This healthy rustic apple cake has a texture that resembles that of a biscuit-cookie. This effect is obtained thanks to the toasted hazelnut and almond flours and the raw sugar that, together, make the inside soft and the edges crisp. A healthy, rustic dairy free cake, ideal for any occasion.
the juice of one lemon
200 g (7 oz) whole wheat flour, sifted
50 g (2 oz) toasted hazelnut flour
50 g (2 oz) toasted almond flour
1 tsp organic baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 organic free range egg
Pinch of sea salt
80 g (3 oz) Demerara sugar
80 ml (3 fl oz) almond milk, unsweetened
80 ml (3 fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil (or organic cold pressed sunflower oil)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Wash and cut the apples into cubes, removing the peel. Roll out the apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- Mix the flours with baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a bowl, beat the egg with sugar, milk and oil. Pour the dry ingredients into the liquid bowl and mix.
- Add the apples. Pour the mixture into a cake tin, lined with parchment paper, and dd a sprinkling of demerara sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes.