Broccoli, carrots and red lentils salad is a colorful and crunchy idea, so rich in nutrients. Ideal for a lunch on the go, it may be changed, alternating the vegetables in season.
In this recipe, the key is the quality of the lentils. In the Italian specialty shops, you can find many varieties from different Italian regions. Sicilian and Umbrian PDO lentils are among the most famous. They are smaller than common lentils (and the taste earns). The red lentils are suitable for salads, if cooked al dente. They are soft and have a very delicate taste that makes them perfect with winter vegetables. If possible, always opt for the organic lentils with a defined origin. Lentils help lower the level of cholesterol in the blood because they are rich in fiber and Omega 3, also preventing heart disease. Regular intake of this food also helps to stabilize sugar levels.
Broccoli, carrots and red lentils salad: Ingredients
100 g (3½ oz) lentils (better if small)
1 clove garlic
100 g (3½ oz) broccoli florets
3 romaine lettuce leaves
3 radicchio leaves
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
Pepper, to taste
2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
Broccoli, carrots and red lentils salad: Method
- Wash the lentils, put them in a pot and cover with cold water. Cut the onion and garlic and add to lentils. Cook for 20- 25 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, blanch the broccoli in salted water. Drain al dente and dip them in cold water with ice in order to maintain the bright green color.
- Peel the carrots and cut into rounds.
- Wash and dry the lettuce and radicchio leaves.
- Pour the lentils, broccoli, carrots and lettuce in a salad bowl. Season with extra virgin olive oil, salt pepper and balsamic vinegar.