Chocolate rum cake is a cake for connoisseurs.
In terms of food I am very demanding. I love simplicity because good, healthy and clean food does not need complex procedures but as pure as possible ingredients. Flours, for example. The more raw they are, the more certainty of creating delicious food is assured. Preferring organic, unrefined flours means not only limiting the absorption of pesticides but ensuring that your recipes, especially cakes or cookies, have a unique taste.
This cake has a texture and a very special taste. This is due to the organic ingredients and a special Sicilian flour, such as Maiorca.
Maiorca (or Majorca) wheat is an ancient wheat Sicilian that has been grown in Sicily for centuries, especially in the arid areas. It has always been considered the epitome of Sicilian wheat and its flour is synonymous with cake flour. It has now been rediscovered and is being organically grown. Its grain produces a soft high-quality white flour, highly digestible, even for those with gluten sensitivity since it has a low gluten content that is around 50% less than modern grains. Worldwide it is available in the best Italian food shop and via internet.
Chocolate rum cake: Ingredients
100 g (3½ oz) dark chocolate, 70%
100 g (3½ oz) white vanilla chocolate
300 g (11 oz) Maiorca Sicilian ancient whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla “Bourbon” powder
1 tbsp raw cocoa powder
2 large free range eggs
Pinch of sea salt
80 g (3 oz) coconut sugar
150 ml (5 fl oz) oat milk
80 ml (3 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp Rum
Chocolate rum cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a deep-bottomed pot, melt the two chocolates together. Once the chocolates have melted, set aside.
- Mix the flour with baking powder, vanilla and cocoa.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs with the pinch of salt and sugar. Add milk, oil and rum.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly and stir.
- Add the chocolates and mix quickly.
- Pour the mixture into a mold and cook for 30 minutes.