Gluten free citrus loaf is one my best seasonal cakes.
When in season, citrus fruits are the heroes of Sicilian and Southern Italian cuisine. Orange and lemon trees are the symbol of Sicily and it is very common to find small lemon trees in country houses. This gluten-free citrus loaf is enriched by Sicilian lemons from my tree. The essences of citrus and aromatic notes of Limoncello, South Italian specialty, make this cake really special in its simplicity.
Gluten free citrus loaf: Ingredients
150 g (5 oz) cornstarch (cornflour), sifted
100 g (3½ oz) brown rice flour, sifted
15 g (½ oz) organic baking powder
pinch of sea salt
zest of 1 organic orange
zest of 1 organic lemon
1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 large free range eggs
50 g (2 oz) orange honey
75 ml (3 fl oz) organic brown rice milk
75 ml (3 fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil (or 100 ml (3½ fl oz) cold-pressed organic sunflower oil)
1 tbsp Limoncello
Gluten free citrus loaf: Method
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Mix together the flours, baking powder, pinch of salt, and set aside.
- Whisk the orange and lemon zest in a blender with the sugar.
- Beat the eggs with the honey, milk, oil and a tablespoon of Limoncello.
- Add the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients gently, add the orange zest and stir quickly.
- Pour the dough into a non stick plum cakes/loaf mold individual molds, lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes.