Honey is a precious food. Apart from the best known ones, the varieties are numerous and the uses are different. Choosing a quality, unrefined honey, created according to sustainable procedures, means consuming a healthy product from which to benefit. Although not a well known plant, the Sulla (which grows abundantly in Sicily) boasts numerous beneficial and healing properties. From is obtained a honey rich in vitamins and minerals.
Sulla honey has a straw yellow color and a very delicate not too sweet flavor. It is used by athletes for its concentration of fructose, iron, zinc and magnesium, which provide an immediate source of energy with gradual release, ideal to take before undergoing physical activity. Sulla Honey has a purifying and detoxifying action for our body and is a real tonic and natural supplement. It is an excellent diuretic and laxative. For its light and delicate taste it is used for the preparation of many typical Sicilian sweets, first of all the nougat (Torrone).
Sulla honey is the hero of these delicious, eggs free cashew cakes, perfetc for breakfast or tea time.
50 g (2 oz) toasted cashew
2 mashed bananas
The juice of one lemon
4 tbsp organic raw honey (in this case, Sulla honey)
100 ml (3½ fl oz) organic cold pressed sunflower oil
50 ml (2 fl oz) brown rice milk
250 g (7 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
50 g (2 oz) cornmeal-cornflour, sifted
1 tsp organic baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- In a blender, blend the cashews at maximum power.
- In a bowl, add the bananas, lemon juice, honey, oil, milk and mix, preferably with an electric beater.
- In another bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, including the cashews.
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid and mix.
- Pour the dough into baking cups and bake for 15-20 minutes.