Gluten free coffee cake is a healthy, delicous start, suitable also at every time of the day. The choice of coffee as a key ingredient is not accidental.
For Italians, coffee is an everlasting love. A cup of cappuccino or espresso accompanies every Italian in the early morning and continues throughout the day.
This gluten and dairy free cake is simple but with all the essence and the aroma of a drink, which in Italy has a special taste and a unique charm.
It is an intense and delightful treat, so moist and soft, best enjoyed also as a dessert, accompanied by a dollop of whipped cream.
The choice of gluten-free flour, even for me that I do not suffer from intolerance, is perfect. For example, rice flour is ideal for soft, digestible cakes that stay soft for a few days.
Gluten free coffee cake: Ingredients
2 large free range organic eggs
100 g (3½ oz) raw sugar (or raw coconut sugar)
Pinch of sea salt
100 ml (3½ fl oz) high quality espresso, room temperature
75 ml (3 fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil (or 100 ml-3½ fl oz- organic cold-pressed sunflower oil)
250 g (9 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
50 g (2 oz) buckwheat flour, sifted
15 g (½ oz) organic baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Gluten free coffee cake: Method
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Whip the eggs with the sugar and salt, until it forms a clear and foamy cream.
- Add the coffee, and the oil.
- Gradually, add the sifted flours with the baking powder and cinnamon. Combine well.
- Pour the dough into a greased and floured cake pan and bake for 30 minutes.