These honey and orange cakes are just divine. Full of flavour and very nourishing, they are perfect in winter when I prepare them with homemade marmalade, made with Sicilian oranges. Spices enhance the flavour of jam and add an aroma that is the hallmark of these moist small cakes, perfect at every time of the day.
Mine Honey and orange cakes are gluten free. Brown rice flour is one the best and healthy gluten free flours but you can replace or alternate it with buckwheat or cornflour/ cornstarch.
150 ml (5 fl oz) water
100 g (3½ oz) raw honey
100 g (3½ oz) raw coconut sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 large free range egg, beaten
300 g (11 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
1 tsp organic baking powder
3 tbsp mild extra virgin olive oil (or 6 tbsp organic cold-pressed high oleic sunflower oil)
150 g (5 oz) orange marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Heat the water, honey and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook until you get a syrup. Remove from the heat, add the spices and allow to cool.
- Pour the syrup into a bowl. Add the beaten egg, flour, baking powder, oil and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into a muffin mold and leave to cool. Pour a tablespoon of orange marmalade (or sugar-free jam) over each muffin hole.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Leave in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.