Gluten free pistachio and limoncello cake is a delicious gluten free treat.
This is one of the dessert cakes that my mother always prepared when I was a child. She has always replaced the white sugar with raw honey. My version with coconut sugar is just as satisfying and gives an even more distinctive flavour.
Limoncello is one of the he key to this gluten frees pistachio and limoncello cake. It is a sweet liqueur, made by the maceration in ethyl alcohol of lemon peel. The best known is the limoncello from the Amalfi Coast. I used Sicilian limoncello.
Organic, unrefined ingredients, as always, make a difference. You can enjoy Pistachio and limoncello at every time of the day, perfect, of course, especially as a dessert or for the tea time.
Gluten free pistachio and Limoncello cake: Ingredients
200 g (7 oz) pistachios
100 g (31/2 oz) toasted hazelnuts
80 g (3 oz) raw coconut sugar
zest of 1 lemon
2 carrots, chopped
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp organic vanilla bourbon powder
100 g (3½ oz) brown rice flour, sifted
15 g (½ oz) organic baking powder
200 g (7 oz) high-quality vanilla white chocolate
1 tbsp limoncello
Gluten free Pistachio and Limoncello cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line a 35cm round baking tin with baking paper.
- Process the pistachios in a food processor with the hazelnuts, coconut sugar and lemon zest. Pour into a bowl.
- Blend the carrots with the eggs salt and vanilla. Add this mixture to the pistachio and hazelnut flours.
- Combine the brown rice flour, baking powder and mix well with each other all the ingredients.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler. Remove from the heat and add the tablespoon limoncello.
- Once the cake has cooled, decorate with the melted chocolate. Leave to rest at room temperature for 10–15minutes before serving.