Farro and Tofu salad is a hearty recipe with crunchy seasonal ingredients.
Farro is one of the oldest grains with many beneficial properties. Compared to wheat, it has more protein, fiber and vitamins of group B and E. Rich in magnesium, Farro is also a natural supplement of iron and calcium. It is available whole, rich in fiber, hulled or semi-pearled. This latter has a faster cooking. Whole and hulled Farro must be soaked. On the contrary, pearled Farro is ready to be cooked and cook faster.
Tofu, first marinated in lemon and then fried, sun dried tomatoes, fresh peas and mint make this Spring salad so rich in flavor, color and with all the nutrients of the seasonal food.
Farro and Tofu salad: Ingredients
150 g (5 oz) semi-pearled Farro
200 g (7 oz) fresh peas
1 onion, chopped
The zest and juice of half a organic lemon
1 clove garlic, chopped
100 g (3½ oz) natural Tofu
4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
5 Sun dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
3-4 mint leaves
Farro and Tofu salad: Method
- Soak the Farro, following the instructions in the package.
- Cook the Farro al dente in boiling salted water or following the instruction in the package.
- Cook the peas al dente in salted water with the onion.
- In a bowl, mix the lemon zest with the chopped garlic.
- Cut the tofu into slices and sprinkle with the zest of lemon and garlic. Season with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and leave to rest.
- In a bowl, pour the lemon juice, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Fry the tofu with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil until it is browned.
- In a bowl pour the Farro, the peas, the tofu, crumbled, the dried tomatoes, season with the vinaigrette, the mint leaves and serve immediately.